There could be a number of reasons for the cash drawer (or till) not opening, we've provided the most common few below.
Receipt Printer Error
If your cash drawer has a cable that plugs into the receipt printer, you will need to ensure that you are able to successfully print to your receipt printer, to check this, print a test invoice to the receipt printer, if the print out fails, you will need to troubleshoot the printer in order for the cash drawer to open.
Things to check if the receipt printer has an error:
- Check there is sufficient receipt paper
- Check that the paper is turned in the correct position
- Check that all cables to the receipt printer are plugged in securely (Power, USB and Cash Drawer Cable)
- Check and clear the printer queue via Settings>Bluetooth & devices>Printers & scanners. Select the printer and Open print queue. Delete anything in the queue and try printing again
- Power off and on the receipt printer
- Restart the PC
Cash Drawer Locked
To check whether your cash drawer has been locked, listen for a clicking sound when the cash drawer is triggered, if a clicking sound is heard from the cash drawer, you may need to unlock the drawer with the key.
Printer not Selected in Shopfront Hardware Connect Settings
Follow the steps below to verify that your receipt printer has been set as the default printer to trigger your cash drawer.
- Select the Menu
- Select Setup
- Select Hardware
- If your receipt printer doesn't appear under the Printer field, you will need to choose your receipt printer from the drop-down list
- Select Save
- To test whether the cash draw is now opening select Test Open Cash Drawer
If the Hardware Connect program isn't installed, refer to How to Set Up Hardware Connect for further information.
Note: To manually open your cash drawer in Shopfront refer to the help guide on Opening the Cash Drawer from the Register Sales Keys.