Shopfront contains many different ways to classify your products, namely through the use of Brands, Categories, Families and Tags. Assigning classifications to your products makes it easy to run promotions across an entire group of products and makes reporting a breeze.
We suggest that you use brands as the group name that customer's see, e.g. you would use Coca-Cola for Normal Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Coca-Cola Vanilla, etc.
However, an alternative that some Vendor's elect to use this field for is the product's manufacturer (not supplier).
Shopfront supports a single level category with no parents and children due to our tagging system. Because of this, we would recommend that you name your categories at a "mid-level" where the category is not too descriptive but not completely open.
For example, you would name your category Red Wine rather than naming it Wine or Shiraz.
Families are products that are price aligned and grouped together. When you update a product within a family it will automatically update the other product's within the family.
Families can also be used within express promotions with price override to put the entire family on promotion. They also share quantity within the register, e.g. if you have Product A and Product B in a family with a price point set at 2 for $20, if a customer buys one of Product A and one of Product B the total cost comes to $20.
Tags are simple identifiers used to classify a product. Typically you would add tags for specifying more details about the product. Using the Red Wine example from the categories section, you would set Wine and Shiraz as tags. You might also add tags such as Imported or New Zealand as well as any other information you might like to report on.
You can have as many tags on a product as you would like.
Note: You can also apply a tag to an entire category.
How to Create a Classification
- Select the Menu icon
- Select Classifications
- Click + Add Classification
- Choose which classification you would like to create
- Name your new classification
- Link classification to our Master Database
Navigate to the View screen via Menu > Stock Management > Classifications > search by name and click View.
On the View screen you have access to the classification's performance graph and a list of all products assigned.
Assign Products to Classifications
1. Navigate to the Assign screen via Menu > Stock Management > Classifications > search by name and click Assign.
2. On this screen you can:
- Remove products from the classification by clicking the red - button
- Add products to the classification by clicking the green + button
- Search for Products by typing product names into the text box
- Remove all products that already have been assigned a classification by turning the 'Only show Products without a Brand / Category / Family' toggle on